You have a few options.

  • Talk to your public transit agency. It’s best to start by telling the transit agency what happened. They may offer solutions if they are made aware of the problem.
  • File an ADA complaint. For riders with verified disabilities, you can file an ADA complaint with public transit. They are required to have a complaint process. Complaint forms can be found on a public transit’s website or request a copy in the mail.
  • If your public transit has failed to resolve your issue, even after filing a complaint, you may also file an ADA complaint with the Michigan Department of Transportation, and/or the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) Office of Civil Rights.