Assistance Programs

People with disabilities have access to many types of assistance programs through Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS). These programs include, Food Assistance Program (FAP), Family Independence Program (FIP), State Emergency Relief (SER), healthcare coverage, Childcare assistance and State Disability Assistance (SDA).

Below is more information about these programs and how to apply:

Types of Assistance Available from MDHHS

MDHHS Information Booklet

  • Healthcare Coverage
  • Food Assistance Program
  • Cash Assistance
  • Child Development + Care
  • State Emergency Relief

You have to apply using a common application for any MDHHS benefits. You can send the paper application to the local MDHHS office or apply online at MI Bridges.

Once you apply, each program has a different timeline to review the application varying from 10 to 90 days. You may get a call from MDHHS asking more questions as well.

MDHHS County Office Map

This information is a service of Disability Rights Michigan (DRM). It provides general information, based on the law at the time we wrote it, and is not legal advice. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with DRM. If you need legal advice, you should contact an attorney. If you would like more information about this topic or would like to receive this information in an alternative format call DRM at 800.288.5923.

How Can We Help?
Contact Us Anytime

We want to hear from you! Whether you're looking for advocacy, have a question, or just want to connect, please reach out.


Contact Us